Saturday, July 25, 2009

DFest Preview: Sherree Chamberlain

Sherree Chamberlain
Photo: Jeremy Charles

As we prepare for DFest, we will be speaking with a few Oklahoma acts who will be playing this weekend in Tulsa.

Endearing listeners with carefully crafted lyrics and delicate and passionate vocals Sherree Chamberlain is one of Oklahoma’s most captivating talents. After recently leaving her musical family in Stillwater for Oklahoma City, the 23-year-old songstress is going for broke, musically. Chamberlain says she’s “happy as hell” and “more creatively fulfilled” than ever, studying music theory, writing and playing a slew of shows. She recently released her album, The Wasp in the Room, on iTunes, with help from members of Bright Eyes, Sufjan Stevens’ band, Ester Drang and Nine Inch Nails.

Sherree Chamberlain plays Saturday at 11:30pm at McNellie’s.

Your long-awaited album, The Wasp in the Room, is now out on iTunes. Can we expect an album release party anytime soon?

I have a few dates set - August 29th with the Uglysuit in Stillwater, Sept. 4th with Jacob Abello in Norman. I don’t know if I’ll have an “official” CD release in OKC - I’m too excited to hold off. I’m selling them whenever and wherever. They’ll be for sale at Dfest! I am as happy as a clam. I wish I could just throw free records at people for days.

LISTEN: Sherree Chamberlain - “Windmill Wings” (myspace)

Where did you record the album, who else plays on it and how do you feel to finally have the album out?

We recorded the majority of the record at with Chad Copelin at Blackwatch Studio in Norman. He is brilliant. Everyone should work with that man. Through him however, I was able to have some amazing musicians collaborate with me on the record. The drums were done by James McAlister (of Sufjan Stevens, Ester Drang), Bass by Justin Meldal-Johnson (of Beck, Nine Inch Nails), string arrangements by Nathaniel Walcott (of Bright Eyes), guitar by Casey Foubert (Sufjan Stevens). It was mixed by Chris Testa in L.A. who just finished working on Jimmy Eat World’s last record. Somehow Chad was able to throw in all these musicians from across the U.S. with our solid local musicians and blend it all into something very unique. I feel fortunate. I feel humbled. But mainly I’m just happy as hell.

I read where you recently said that you are more proactive with your music that you ever have been. Was there a turning point for you or something that just clicked?

I’m not sure there was a defining moment I can pinpoint, but graduating college was probably a good step in the right direction. I’ve always had school to hide behind. Once I finished I just kind of woke up and realized I’m not 16 anymore. I’m almost 23 and I can either go get a 9 -5 job and be comfortable, or be broke and just go for it. Thus far I’m choosing to be broke . . . ha. It’s pretty scary, but I am more creatively fulfilled now than I have been in a really long time.

What does the next year look like for you, musically?

It looks like a big mixture of courage and humility.

Taking a few risks, always being open to learning and stretching my creativity. I know for sure that we’ll be booking more shows in state and out of state. I’m trying my hand at co-writing, taking guitar lessons, teaching myself more theory, and surrounding myself with a community of artists for support. Growth is one of the most exciting things. I feel like such an awkward teenager right now musically. It’s kind of fun.

Other Lives, Colourmusic, Mayola and you really changed the way music coming out of Stillwater is viewed. How does all this great indie music come out of a place that’s mostly known for red dirt and country music?

Geez, talking about Stillwater makes me so homesick. I have never been in a place so supportive and open to different ideas. I think all of the artists there understand that we all have a mutual goal we are all shooting for. It incestuous and infectious. Everybody plays in everybody’s band, everybody goes to each others’ shows. It is both inspiring and comforting. It’s an extremely safe environment to try new things. That’s why great things come out, there are really no rules - just a very pure and honest appetite for new experiences and sounds.

What other bands are you excited about seeing at DFest?

I think I’m going to need a segway to get to every show I want to go to without having my legs fall off.

Jacob Abello, Beau Jennings, Brine Webb, Ali Harter, Dead Sea Choir, Gentleman Auction House,Mayola, Ryan Lindsey, Other Lives, Pretty Black Chains, Vandevander, Maggie McClure, The JonBear Fourtet, Western Heritage, The Uglysuit, . . . . my list could last for miles.

No comments: