Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In Memory of the Godfather of Red Dirt Music..... Bob Childers

Hello Everyone,

I know this is the first email I have sent out in awhile but life has been very busy and now has slowed down with sadness. This news letter is not about Tuff Profit. It about one of the greatest soul and spirits that I have ever met, Bob Childers. Bob past away to day. For those of you who do not know whom I’m talking about, Bob Childers is the God father of Red Dirt Music. Donnie and Bridget Wood introduce us to Bob around 4 years ago, a gift that change our lives forever. We had dinner and listen to Donnie and Bob tell stories of their many years of friendship. Then we went down to Solo Club where we listen to Bob perform. A night of pure Magic. Our world had changed that night because Donnie had open a door and invited us in to met his great friend and the root to what Red Dirt music is about. The Picture that is with this sad note means a lot to Vicki and I, it was the first time we met Bob Childers. This was a few months before the wonderful night we were invited to dinner. When I first met Donnie Wood and as our friendship grew he would talk about his good friend Uncle Bob. Taught me a lot about this great man and turn me onto his music. I became a fan and had never seen him. One night in Tulsa Vicki and went to see a Red Dirt Rangers and a reunion of Medicine Show. For someone like me this was like a dream come true. I was new to Red Dirt Music world and here in front of me was all the forefathers of this music. My first time to see and hear Red Dirt Rangers ,Randy Crouch, Medicine Show and many others. Then this man with long hair and a kind face comes up to me and asked if I had a extra cigarette . I was happy to share and started telling him how happy I was to be in a room of such great talent and wish I was part of the Red Dirt scene . The man with the Long Hair and Kind face smiled and said “you’re here enjoying the music so now you are part of it” I smiled back and held out my hand and introduced myself. He held his hand out and said “ Hello I’m Bob Childers” and I return with “ OH Shit” and like a freaked out fan ask for a picture with my wife and soul mate Vicki . He laughed and was happy to do so. Over time Donnie would invite his close friend to come to Bartlesville to play his music and we never missed a show. He even wore a Tuff Profit Shirt one night at one of these shows, That just how wonderful and kind of a soul he was. I wish now I was a better writer so I could let you all know how my heart is broken, that I will never see that man with long hair and kind face again.

Please include his family in your prayers tonight

God bless and God speed Uncle Bob

Danny Joe Walsh

Tuff Profit Band

djwalsh@cableone.net

www.tuffprofit.com

918-766-2079

No comments: