Friday, April 20, 2007

Desmond R. Taylor

Local musician makes his bid for stardom

By: Sean Mitchell

Posted: 4/19/07

Desmond R. Taylor, who sometimes goes by the moniker DT, is an emerging music artist who is trying to enhance his prominence in the industry. The 19 year old Friendswood resident is the CEO and producer of Taylormade Productions and a sophomore student at Prairie View A&M University. Since age 14, Taylor has been enhancing his musical passion through rapping, singing and producing.

"I basically compose and produce original music," Taylor said. "I work with multi-track recording programs, with condenser microphones to produce original Hip-Hop and R&B music."

Taylor lived an hour outside Oklahoma City in Lawton, Okla. before moving to Friendswood with his family and attending college. Having chosen to go to school in Prairie View due to its proximity to the Houstonarea, Taylor has taken the task of creating his work while at school in his apartment. Taylor's musical passion was evident long before he arrived at college.

"I was 10 or 11 years old in the third grade and my parents bought me a keyboard for Christmas," said Taylor. "I would listen to hit songs and try to imitate them on the keyboard. I also sang in the church choir when I was younger. Plus, throughout high school and junior high school I was a part of an All-State Choir and received a certificate [for my work with them] my senior year in high school."

Given the feedback from his peers and CEOs of other record companies after meeting with them, it seems that Taylor has the potential to make waves within the industry. He certainly has a clear view of where he wants to take his life and doesn't seem locked into his passion for music alone.

"My biggest goal right now is to get my degree," Taylor said. "Being at the school I'm at is actually helpful, since I am learning about the public relations aspect of the hip hop audience," he said.

Taylor is a man about his business, so although he takes joy in the creation of his music he also wants all people to take him seriously as an artist. He believes that the creation of music is not for everyone and should be handled with a certain level of respect.

"I play no games in the studio. Music is fun and should always be, but not everyone can just 'hop on the bandwagon' and think they can produce music all of a sudden. That's one thing that agitates me. Music is a bloodline talent for me and not a fad."

Having been a "military brat," DT moved from place to place and was able to experience many different areas of the country and world. This is likely what gives his work its unique sound0.

"My music is not just one sound," he said. I can sound like hip hop or make you feel like you are in India one day or Egypt the next. It's also original because I use several snaps and snares to make one beat different from the next."

Taylor's unreleased first album, unofficially titled "No Loose Strings," should reflect this idea. According to DT, the album should sound fully original and have a true hip-hop flavor.

"It's hip-hop, soul and everything that make people love music," he said. "It'll have some tracks with good singing, some with good lyrics because some songs need good lyrics, not just a good beat."

"I do believe I will show I have the tools to be a great talent in the music industry. This album and my music is something that will help me on my way to getting me where I want to be [in life]. I wouldn't be able to do this without the support of my family, friends, people who love music, and God."
© Copyright 2007 The Panther

No comments: