Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Country star hosts charity golf tourney

Country star hosts charity golf tourney


By The Associated Press


OKLAHOMA CITY - Country music star Toby Keith helped raise more than $400,000 at a charity auction in Oklahoma City to benefit the families of pediatric cancer patients.

Keith, who lives north of Norman, is hosting the 4th Annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic, which included a charity auction and gala dinner Friday night in downtown Oklahoma City.

"It was a late night, and I don't have all the numbers, but I think we raised more money last night than we ever have," Keith said Saturday morning. "I know that we raised about $400,000 last year, and I feel like we went past that last night."

Among the items auctioned off include several trips, memorabilia from Garth Brooks, Sammy Hagar and Bob Seger, and sports memorabilia autographed by golfer Tiger Woods and baseball Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle.

The event continued Saturday with a golf tournament at Belmar Golf Course in Norman.

The proceeds benefit Ally's House, an organization named after the daughter of Keith's original bandmate Scott Webb. Allison died in August 2003, one month before her third birthday, from a form of kidney cancer called Wilm's tumors.

Keith and his foundation have raised more than $1.1 million to benefit the charity, which he helped establish. It helps pay for medical bills, prescriptions, housing, transportation, toys, food, clothing and other expenses for families of children with cancer.

Keith recently completed work on his latest album, "Big Dog Daddy," which is scheduled for release on June 12, and said he also is considering several movie projects. He recently finished writing a movie script called "Beer for my Horses," and said he finds acting an exciting challenge.

"It's been more creative than anything I've done in 10 years," Keith said. "I'm trying to step up and see what else is out there."

A fan of the University of Oklahoma football team, Keith said he's also excited about the upcoming football season.

"I'll either be on the sidelines or up in my suite watching them," Keith said. "I think I'm more excited for them this year than I have been in years."

No comments: