Thursday, July 16, 2009

Monica Taylor

Howdee friends and neighbors!

How's the heat treatin' ya? ME too! Here's the honest truth: I don't perspire OR glow in this heat of the summer- by God, I sweat like any old boy! Whew!

Woody Guthrie Folk Festival... well, that was quite a weekend.

It's always like a family reunion. Ya know, you see friends from all over the country and the world that you just pick right back up with for 4 days... like you've never been apart. Singing with dear friends and NEW friends from Boston to Austin from Canada to Australia! Listen, this Red Dirt farmgirl was a mighty happy and exhausted pup by the end of sunday. So good to get to visit with you all- really was.

Big Thank you to Nancy Kamm (fiddle!,) Don Morris, Jared Tyler, Terry Ware, Dean (drums) and TZ Wright for playing with me at The Brick!! They were awesome!

Also... Thank you for your letters and for helping cleanout my cd supply! (ha-ha)

Really, I have enjoyed reading your lovely comments and feedback on my Brickstreet show on thursday, the Graperanch on friday, the Hootenanny song (Young Mother)... and the duet that Ellis Paul asked me to join him on during his set friday night.
Don Conoscenti, Patrick Turnmire, and Rad just sounded so beautiful backing him up on "Dragonfly" or *Was it you*? This will probably be on his new cd... which is really wonderful! He's mixing it now- got to hear some sat. night. Wow!

I do enjoy singing with Ellis... and face to face was the best way to do it on that sort of song. (grin) Thank you again for visiting with me and writing and such, friends! (look below to see what tune we're going to put on my new recording... smile.)



Lots goin' on this month and next. Let me get the schedule out to you for me and a couple of other Okie's (grin)... including Patrick Williams! Then I might throw a brief look at my new recording project out there... for a little smile or two on your faces.


July dates:

17th Friday @ The Blue Door in OKC, OKLA. 8 or 9pm $10
Eric Devries, Gene Williams, and Greg Jacobs.
What a show! Eric is in from Holland where he is quite well known for his songwriting... and he's a very handsome feller, too. Of course, Gene Williams and Greg Jacobs are two of favorite Red Dirt performers and songwriters! I do hope to make this show... maybe I'll see you with me in the audience?! See you there!

18th Saturday @ Joseppi's Italian Rest. in Stillwater, OK 8-10pm
Uncle Don Morris and I are playing! and eating... m-m-m, I love this place. And it's just 10 minutes from my barnhouse! Come on out friends!

18th Saturday @ Southern Hills Sports Bar in Tulsa, OK 8pm
*Patrick Williams (my former Farm Couple partner) and a friend of ours, David Bright, are playing here! You don't want to miss his amazing new self-penned tunes, my friends... and all the classic country & rock.

Also on saturday the 18th: noon to 5pm in Tulsa at 41st & Peoria area my dear friend Sarah Barker and her band are playing at Lambrusco's Deli and Eatery! I'm gonna try to make it there for an hour sometime to listen AND to eat... wowser! Miss Becky, another red dirt sister, works there and it will be good to eat the amazing she and her compadres fix!

Aug. 6th, Thursday night from 7-9pm Wichita State University, Art Museum lawn
The Monica Taylor trio
Me, Jared Tyler, & Don Morris! This is a favorite folk concert series up in Wichita for the summer. Please your lawn chairs, coolers, blankets, and water bottles! I know that Mark Erelli had a wonderful time July 9th doing this concert- I got to pick and hang with him at Woody Fest. He's awesome!
SO I will see you all here for a fun evening, my Kansas friends! I'll bet cha we might be able to persuade some of Sycamore Swing, maybe a Cherokee Maiden or two to join in a song if they aren't on vacation? (grin) We'll see!



Aug. 7th - 8th Patrick Williams' dates:
Aug. 7th Univ. of Arkansas (Fayetteville, AR) Writers in the 'Vill 7pm In this ballroom.
This wonderful writers in the round showcase will have Patrick, Still on the Hill,and duo from Austin... all hosted by our dear friend and amazing songwriter and performer, Effron White. Please don't miss this great evening, friends!

Aug. 8th Friday *Effron & Patrick at Foghorn's rest. 7pm, Fayetteville, AR

Aug. 9th Effron and Patrick will travel to Eureka Springs, AR
to play at The Basin Park bandshell, I believe. Please check Effron's website for time and more info!
www.effronwhite.com.


Recording a new CD, Dear Hearts! Finally... I know. Here's a brief rundown...

my songs:
Hello, Goodbye, I'm Gone
My Little Diner Gig
The Distance
Young Mother
My Last Name is Williams
Peaceful Evermore

duets:
The Price of Love (written by and duet with Jimmy Lafave)
She (written by Gram Parson/ duet with Ellis Paul)


Goin' by The ole Sunrise (written by Malcolm Holcomb- Jared plays dobro with malcom, too.)

Red Dirt Songs: (in addition to jimmy's)
Enjoy the Ride (bob childers, greg jacobs, brad piccalo)
Rosalie (Randy Pease)

Gospel song? Might put a tune that Jared, Chick Rains, and I are working on "It's all in God's Hands, Same as it ever was.)

Probably ONE or two more tune will be added... what do YA'LL want to hear me record? Suggestions?? Write me back with an idea. Your homework assignment.(grin)


Word o' wisdon for my friends:
Ya'll keep cool, drink lots of water (both you AND your pets).... and take walk down a country creek. Find yourself a good Honey-hole to swim in! That's my advice for this month...

love from Monica~ a red dirt farmgirl

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning the Jazz Hall of Fame and our "Wild Women of Jazz".