Tuesday, March 24, 2009

from a Cimarron Valley farmgirl~ Monica Taylor

Howdy, ya'll!
 
Here are a few things that are goin' on the next two weeks or so... would love to have you out!
 
 
 
Thursday, March 26th   7pm
downtown Wichita at The Murdock Theater!
 
The Cherokee Maiden's ride again!!   Sycamore Swing will be in rare form as Robin Macy, Jennifer Petterson, and myself take the stage in our cowgirl garb as The Cherokee Maiden's!  
My goodness, we love to sing with these talented men in Sycamore Swing.. Kenny (guitar,) Rob (fiddle,) Andy (drums,) Shane (guitar,) and James(bass.)  What a night!  This will be wonderful time of great old western swing, jazz, originals... a little gypsy jazz.  Hope you can make it out, friends!
 
 
 
Saturday, March 28th... two really wonderful things today:
 
1st:
A Farmgirl's Barnhouse concert series!    8pm  
$10-15 (whatever donation you can toss in the 'cookie-jar' will do fine!)  This is also a potluck dinner, so bring yo' favorite dish or whatver... if you want to.
 
This is LAST concert for this winter season...  until November '09!
Joe Baxter, Patrick Williams, and myself (monica Taylor)  will be doing this last concert until November '09...
my goodness, there's not enough room to talk about these two fellers and the songs they have each penned.    Joe Baxter resides in Oklahoma City, OK and Patrick Williams lives on his family's indian allotment land on Monkey Island near Grove, OK.  They each have a following of fans the length ofRoute 66 itself! 
 
Joe Baxter:
This man has written songs for years that people ask him to sing at each festival he attends. He has won my heart with his gritty writing and easy-going delivery of his tunes.  He will have some friends with on stage- and like Patrick, even more off stage!  We'll hear about life in the country, broken hearts, a train, lovers... Joe has been the host and the ramrod of the Cottonwood Campground stage at the Guthrie Bluegrass festival each year... this is one of the  best places to hear wonderful songs and pickers.  So excited to have this dear friend here at my home to perform his tunes... he is so humble and supportive of other songwriters (including myself)... he will probably have his brother-in-law Kurt Neilson with him, and maybe others? 
 
Patrick Williams
One of my favorite songwriters, guitar players... and friends.  So excited to have him perform here in my home for you all!
Every bluegrass or folk festival I go to with Patrick, people come up and ask him to play 'em a song:   play that one about Goobersville, "Faith Can Turn the Tide,"  "My Last name is Williams"  (about Hank)... I  always ask for "The Garden Gate" and "Back on my Feet"... well, I ask for lots more than that because I know his songs so well... of course.(grin)
Patrick and I have travelled for 10 or 11 years as The Farm Couple across the southern states and all over the state of Oklahoma.  He is one of my favorite writers and along with Joe is one of the most prolific writers of 'really good' songs, by golly, that I know!  I'm so glad that he is going to be playing his tunes in my home this day...  I will be joining him on a few tunes, too.  
 
Monica...
Since this is the last house concert for this season,  I am going to do a little set myself... hopefully these two fellows will join me on a few songs?   (I know my dear friend Patrick will... grin.)  So excited to have this wonderful night of pickin' and grinnin'... and jammin'! 
 
RSVP:
Please let me know if you will be coming to this last house concert at my barnhouse north of Perkins, OK just a half mile?  (1/2 mile north of the Sonic Drive-Inn on highway 33.  It's the barn nestled In the pecan trees on the right.
 
Call me at 405-547-2730 or 405-612-3183 or email back at mtaylorok@yahoo.com!      Thank you so much for your attendence. 
At the March 7th show:
**Tom Skinner had a great crowd of fans and friends... he and Gene Williams and Don Morris had an amazing show... and the jamming afterwards was wonderful... and went into the wee hours of the morning.   Let me know if you would like to come- I have about 60 chairs.  Thank you friends, pickers, and listeners!  See you then, friends!  
 
2nd:
~also on March 28th... NPR radio fund drive appearance
...5-7pm for KOSU Fund Drive... and Garrison Keillor's  A Prarie Home Companion!
The other 'neat' thing happening today is a bit of time I get to spend with my favorite NPR radio station: KOSU out of Stillwater, OK for their annual fund drive!   I'm awfully proud to have been asked to join the folks here at 91.7 FM KOSU from about 4:30- 7pm or so... as you can tell, this is the time that A Prairie Home Companion radio show will be airing their weekly show.  We'll be visiting about NPR and a few memories of my time on the show this past fall.
Check out the APHC archives for the entire show and lots of pics!
 
October 25th, 2008 I was a guest on this show thanks to Garrison Keillor calling me up on my cell phone the day before and asking if I might join him for the Tulsa Performing Arts Center live show the 25th.   "Uh-h-h.... YES!!  I'll be right there..."  was pretty close to my actual answer.  (smile)  Hot Club of Cowtown and Elvin Bishop were the other guests!  Wow!
Anyways, I'm very honored to have been asked to be a guest on this particular part of KOSU's annual fund drive... during the airing of A Prarie Home Companion from 5-7pm!   Please do call in and pledge whatver you can today during this show... we are so blessed to have such wonderful entertaining shows as APHC and others like "The Splendid Table", "Fresh Air"... "Folk Salad" (recorded out of Tulsa),  the wonderful jazz shows...   What fun....    Then I have to boogie home to host my house concert... It'll be a fun day- I hope to see you at my home this evening, friends for one last show!
 
 
 
Thursday, April 2nd   Tulsa, OK  6:30-9:30pm
Lola's at The Bowery in the Brady district of downtown Tulsa.
 
The Rural Roots Rendezvous!  
Hosted my Jared Tyler, Don Morris, & Monica Taylor
We had such a great time last month here at Lola's... the supper menu is absolutely wonderful!  I had a wonderful meal, ambiance... and lots of fun playing the old country tunes- and many of our own with two of the best pickers in Tulsa!  
Our guest last month was great Red Dirt songwriter, Greg Jacobs... what a wonderful performance Greg gave us all... and his songs just cut right to your soul.  Thank you so much Greg!  
 
THIS month our special guest is dear friend, and fabulous bluegrass and country picker and songwriter: Jim Blair!    My goodness... he is one of the ram-rods of The Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in Muskogee, such a wonderful event to attend!  Some of the bands he plays with are The Neverly Hillbilly's, The Bonham Review... you will enjoy The Jim Blair experience, my friends.  Hang on to your hats as Jim plays the guitar, banjo, mandolin... and sings the old favorites and his own for you!
 
 
My advice for this Springtime~
"Lots of fun... take some time to enjoy a little Red Dirt music... along with your enjoyment of the actual digging of your garden's red dirt or black dirt... (smile.)  
Oh, and take some time stare a bird in the eyes and take good long walk down a country road... I'm going to take my own advice, dear hearts!"
 
 
love from a Cimarron Valley farmgirl~  Monica Taylor

No comments: