Monday, February 19, 2007

American Idol: Doolittle: Ahead of the pack


American Idol: Doolittle: Ahead of the pack
By MATT GLEASON World Scene Writer
2/18/2007

Melinda Doolittle said she was bowled over when she learned she'd made into the Top 24 of the "American Idol" competition.

Her comments are featured in a video interview that appears on the on the "Idol" Web site.

"When I found out I made it to the Top 24, I thought I was going to fall over," said the former Tulsan who attended Union High School and the University of Tulsa.

"I cried, as I usually do. I don't understand why I always cry, but I cried first and then I shook so bad that I had a little problem walking . . .," said the professional background singer.

Then she recalled the fateful summer when she first discovered her soulful voice.

"You know what? I first started singing the summer after my seventh grade year," she said. "I was actually tone-deaf all the years before that, so the summer after my seventh grade year . . . I really wanted to try singing because I loved it, but I just couldn't sing on pitch."

So she prayed to God for help. He got the message.

"I've been singing ever since," she said.

Singing, she can do, of course, but dancing, well, that has proven hazardous.

"I dance at home by myself, but I'm not very good," she said.

"I actually gave myself a little minor whiplash, so I try not to dance too much."

Doolittle went on to say she loves blues guitar slinger Jonny Lang -- "He's young, real soulful and bluesy and he's got a message behind his songs." She also confessed to a weakness for fluffy teeny-bopper flicks.

Asked what she'll do if she doesn't become the next American Idol, Doolittle said she'd return to singing background vocals for a living.

If she won, well, she'd like to be a symbol for all background singers who aspire to step into the spotlight.

"I want to be the next American Idol because I feel like it's time some of us background singers . . . show that we can step out front and still handle ourselves," she said. "I haven't done the best job of that, but I'm working on it.

"And I want to get to the point where I'm a little more calm, I handle myself a little better. But I'd love to represent for the BGVs (background vocalists) out there."

No comments: