Saturday, February 17, 2007

Pat Green to headline Bull Bash in Lufkin

Pat Green to headline Bull Bash in Lufkin


The Lufkin Daily News

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pat Green will headline the 2007 Texas Redneck Bull Bash at the George Henderson Jr. Expo Center in Lufkin on Feb. 24. Staff writer Michael Adams conducted a telephone interview with the Texas music star from his home in Fort Worth. Green talked about several topics, including what makes him want to keep coming back to the Pineywoods area, his upcoming summer tour with Kenny Chesney and SugarLand to his recent semifinal nomination for a CMT Award for "Dixie Lullaby" that is up for the category of "Wide Open Video." The CMT Awards can be voted on by fans and the final four will be announced on Feb. 24. To vote, you may go to www.cmt.com.gw.

Q: What is it about the Lufkin/Nacogdoches area that keeps you coming back?

A: Well, SFA is there and the college crowds are a lot of fun. We have always had good shows there, and there is a huge population in East Texas and that is one of the areas we got started.

Q: What made you finally take your music to the national stage?

A: Like anyone else in the music business, you want to be singing in the stadiums and take your music as far as it can go. Sooner or later you will drill that well dry. People will start to see the same show and it takes the excitement out of it.

Q: You're touring with Kenny Chesney and SugarLand this summer. What excites you the most about it and why?

A: It's all very exciting, but for me to be able to play my brand of Texas music in front of the crowds Kenny can draw makes it that much more thrilling.

Q: Is "Cannonball" the one album you are most proud of?

A: That's really hard to say. I am always proud of a record I put out. With "Cannonball," it is a very accurate statement of where I am right now in my life. There is a lot of stories on there about my family and kids. But I don't know if it will ever eclipse the success we had with "Wave on Wave."

Q: When can fans expect your next album to come out?

A: When it's ready. Record companies like to plan so far ahead, but I don't really think of it that way. When I have 10-15 songs ready then I'll get into the studio.

Q: What is the one thing you have learned from the Nashville music business?

A: Nashville is not the evil empire I once thought it was. I showed up with my bag of tricks and having worked with just three producers in my live and they took me and wanted to make the best out of my music and who I was.

Q: How do you feel you have been received nationally?

A: The response has been fantastic. They welcomed me with open arms. I think what helped when we got to the national stage was we had a good amount of street credibility already. We also had the ability to draw big crowds.

Q: You have recently been nominated for a CMT Award for the category of "Wide Open Video" for "Dixie Lullaby." What does that mean to you and your future?

A: Getting nominated for anything is an honor. I was nominated for three Grammy's before and a few other awards and my heart still jumps up into my throat.

Q: Of all the up and coming Texas music acts you have heard, who, in your opinion, has the best chance of making onto the national stage?

A: You know, there is a lot of great talent in Texas music. Once they show up, it's really about how hard they want to get the word out. Every artist wants to hear their songs on the radio. But if I had to pick two I would probably say Randy Rogers and Kevin Fowler, if he wants to do it, have good chances.

Q: Who's been your main influence in your music career?

A: Everyone that knows me knows that Willie Nelson is my hero. I think Willie has influenced everyone in Texas music. They all would point to him. He is a home grown, world-wide superstar. He will make a record with any mainstream artists, but always stays true to his Texas music roots and nobody gives him a hard time about it.

No comments: