Monday, August 31, 2009

'Tennessee Waltzing' with Patti Page
CONVERSATIONS With Ricky Lo (The Philippine Star) Updated August 30, 2009 12:00 AM

Photo is loading...
‘Tennessee Waltz is by far my personal favorite among my songs. It’s also my father’s favorite. It brings back many beautiful memories about the people I’ve met and the people I still keep and love up to now.’

I was dancing with my darlin’

To the Tennessee Waltz

When an old friend I happened to see.

I introduced her to my loved one

And while they were dancing

My friend stole my sweetheart from me.

I’m not sure how old I was at the time but I remember dancing (what passed for one) to the Tennessee Waltz while the song was being played by a neighbor back in good old Las Navas, Northern Samar. I didn’t know what the song’s title was and who the singer was but I remember how “danceable” that song was. It still is. Thanks to Patti Page, America’s original ageless and timeless Singing Sweetheart, who also has a string of other enduring hits to her name.

Next Sunday, Sept. 6, at the Araneta Coliseum, my friend Raoul Tidalgo and I will swing to that song again, even only in our minds, during Patti’s concert. It’s back to yesterday when, to paraphrase a Beatles song, all our troubles seem so far away...

For the information of today’s generation of music-lovers, between 1950 and 1953, Patti racked up several No. 1 singles, includingI Went to Your Wedding, (How Much Is That) Doggie in the Window and Mockin’ Bird Hill. Among her other songs areChanging Partners, It Had To Be You and For Sentimental Reasons.

Later, bowing to the influence of country music, she shifted her career in that direction and became a success at it as well. To date, now in her 80s and still actively touring and performing, Patti is one of the few artists who have made it to the country charts in five separate decades. The others include Eddy Arnold and George Jones, both traditional country singers.

Patti capped her achievements with being inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 1997. Ten years later, in 2007, she joined other music industry icons inducted into the Hit Parade Hall of Fame, which honors recording artists from all venues and walks of life. Inducted along with her that year were Paul Anka, The Beatles, Tony Bennett, Pat Boone, the Beach Boys, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Chubby Checker, Nat “King” Cole, Aretha Franklin, Elvis Presley, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Neil Sedaka and Frank Sinatra.

Last Thursday, I had the rare chance of “Tennessee Waltzing” with Patti Page on the phone and what a “dance” we had! She was cheerful and playful. I thought, “This lady couldn’t be into her 80s.” Yes, she sounded like an excited 18-year-old.

What have you been doing these past years?

“Well, just the same old thing — singing and taking care of two little children.”

Oh, two little children. How old are they?

“One is 16 and the other is 13.”

Your children?

“No, they are my daughter’s children. I’m their guardian.”

Oh, your daughter’s children. How many grandchildren do you have?

“Well, I have about 15 between my husband and myself.”

By how many children?

“How many children? We have five.”

Did any of your children follow in your footsteps?

“No.”

Oh, what a pity!

“What a pity? Hehehehe! Yes, what a pity! But one granddaughter that lives with me is a good singer.”

Do you make your grandchildren listen to your songs?

(Laughs mildly) “No. I think they are proud of me but they don’t have to listen to my songs.”

How’s your life now? Semi-retired or still performing?

“Well, I guess you could say that I am semi-retired. I don’t work as much as I used to. There are not so many places to work in.”

Where do you live?

“In Southern California, in San Diego County.”

Oh, San Diego. A lot of Filipinos live there. How do you spend your time now?

“Well, I spend my time picking up the phone.” (Sound of a phone hitting the floor) Hehehehe! I just dropped it. Yes, I spend my time with my children. You know, I lost my husband this year.”

Sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

“Thank you.”

After how many years of marriage?

“Twenty.”

You’ve been to Manila several times?

“Yes, five times.”

What do you remember most from those five visits?

“Well, what I remember most is the Araneta Coliseum. That was quite a place.”

That’s where you are performing (next Sunday, Sept. 6).

“Yes, that’s true. I’m looking forward to it.”

Your fans are eager to hear you sing especially your old songs.

“Yes. Hehehehe! Really old songs.”

Are you going to sing those songs the same way you did years ago?

“Well, as far as I know...yes. We have the same arrangements. Yes, I remember that about Manila...the Philippines! I assure them that I will sing those songs the same way I sang them years ago.”

You sound so beautifully on the phone, very musical. How do you take care of your voice?

“Well, I don’t know. I don’t smoke and I don’t drink, except for a little glass of wine once in a while but that’s about it. And I get plenty of rest.”

Do you sing in the bathroom as some singers do and most ordinary folks do?

“No, I don’t. Hehehehe! I never do. I clear my throat as I walk out of stage.”

Which six of your songs are closest to your heart?

“Well, I’ll always be very close to Tennessee Waltz. That’s very special because it’s my father’s favorite, so I always think of him. We recorded it at a studio in New York even if we didn’t even have an arrangement for it. Another is Cape Cod. I think it’s beautifully written. I have a lot of favorites that I recorded in albums but they were not big songs for me.”

Such as what?

“Well, such as I Remember April.”

Any significance to that song?

“No. I don’t believe so.”

What about Mockin’ Bird Hill?

“Well, I enjoy that because it was so good to me and different things have happened because of it. I remember when it first came out, Mercury Records was in Chicago and at a big record store in Chicago they were coming in and they were asking for my record and not the one recorded by another singer.”

What about (How Much Is That) Doggie in the Window?

“Well, that was done for a children’s album and they promised that they wouldn’t release it but they released it anyway and I’m glad.”

Is the doggie still in the window?

“Yes, it’s still in the window. Hehehehe!”

Do you love dogs?

“Yes, I do. I have an Australian terrier and his name is Zeus, the great god.”

When you look back, anything in your life and career that that you would have done otherwise?

“No, I don’t think so. Now that I think about it...not that I think about it quite often...I don’t think that I will change anything. It has been a good life and a good career.”

I agree. Have you always wanted to be a singer?

“Well, I didn’t really want to; it was all handed to me, really. Hmmmm, my manager who heard me in church in Oklahoma told me, ‘You’re gonna be a singer!’ I said, ‘Okay.’ That was it.”

If you had a choice, what would you have been?

“I was studying to be an artist; I wanted to be a painter. I won a scholarship to the University of Tulsa and that’s what I thought I was gonna be — an artist. I haven’t done much of it, though.”

Now that you have all the time, you can always take up painting again.

“No, I haven’t and I don’t know why. I just never thought I could do it. I know some singers who do. Tony Bennett for one; he’s a great artist. I don’t think I’m halfway as good as he is.”

Do you listen to the new breed of singers? What can you say to the music of today which some people say is “all noise”?

(Laughs a bit) “I haven’t had much time to listen to the music of today but I guess there’s room for all kinds of music.”

Compared to songs of yesteryear, what can you say about today’s songs?

“Today’s songs? I don’t think there’s a lot of substance there but I’m sure some are okay.”

Which of today’s singers do you see yourself in? Which of them sounds like the great Patti Page?

“Well, I don’t know if any of us sound alike but I guess I’d have to pick our country singers because, you know, that’s where I was brought up. I wasn’t into country music but that’s where my roots were.”

Are you in touch with your contemporaries?

“Not really. I live in San Diego, far from the maddening crowd. Hehehehe!”

Which of your songs do you want to be remembered for?

“Well, I think Tennessee Waltz.”

Do you dance to that song?

(Laughs and laughs) “No, I’m not a very good dancer.”

When you listen to Tennessee Waltz, what comes to your mind? What memories does it evoke?

“Well, lots of fond memories. People that I’ve met through the years, people that I still keep in touch with, my loved ones, my family, and a lot of nice memories.”

(Note: Presented by All Access Productions, RJ 100-FM and the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office with The Philippine STAR among the sponsors, Patti Page: The Greatest Hits Tour will also be mounted at the Grand Pacific Ballroom of the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City on Friday, Sept. 4. Tickets to the Araneta Coliseum show are priced at P4,000 for Patron A, P3,500 for Patron B, P3,000 for Lower Box, P1,800 for Upper Box A, P1,000 for Upper Box B and P600 for General Admission. For inquiries, call SM Ticketnet outlets at 911-5555.)

(E-mail reactions at rickylo@philstar.net.ph or at entphilstar@yahoo.com)

No comments: