Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Monty Harper....

Children's songwriter, performer & recording artist Monty Harper here, checking in with you for the month of November. Thank you for subscribing to MontyNews!
 
 
1. Born to Do Science - this Thursday!
 
Remember last year when I did the science cafe at hastings here in Stillwater? Well, I've been working on starting up a second season, and this year I'm partnering with the Stillwater Public Library!
 
It happens the third Thursday every month, starting this week! Each month I'll have a different scientist  to speak to kids about their research. It was a lot of fun last year and this year's program looks to be even better.
 
Here's the info about our first event:
 
"Cultivating Super Wheat"
 
We'll start with a brand new song. Then our guest geneticist, Cheryl Baker, and I will ask the question, what can you do when Russian wheat aphids attack your crops? We'll explore the process of creating "super wheat" that can resist the aphids' attack. There will be wheat and aphids on hand to examine.

The program is Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6:00 PM at the Stillwater Public Library. Children in 3rd-5th grade are invited, along with their parents. Please call ahead to RSVP: (405) 372 3633

Please pass this along to anyone you know who might be interested!

Thanks!

P.S.

 
2. Acrocanthosaurus Update!
 
On October 24 I performed at the Museum of the Red River in Idabel for their Fall Arts Fest. I presented a brand new song called "Acrocanthosaurus, My Oklahoma Dinosaur," in honor of the Acro cast displayed in the museum.
 
Well, they liked the new song so much, they booked me on the spot to return for "Acrofest" in March! I'll be performing March 6, 2010 at 10:30 and 1:30. 
 
You can check out the song lyric as well as info about the Acro in my songbook at this link:
 
 
3. Grant for Small Oklahoma Schools
 
I'm participating in a pilot program for the Oklahoma Arts Council called "Performing Arts Corps."
 
This will allow small schools to receive a grant to have me come for a day, and do two workshops and one assembly program. The grant covers most of the fee; the school's matching portion is only $125.
 
If you are in an Oklahoma school district with fewer than 1,000 students then you are eligible for the grant. Please contact me for more information.


--

That's it for now. Thanks for reading! Happy Thanksgiving!
 
--
Monty Harper
 

No comments: